There has been a building on the site of the present house since at least 1590 when the site was marked as Dunens on Roy’s map of Scotland. By 1801 a double-fronted manse-style house or lodge is shown, and this building relates quite closely in form to the smaller house which is presently under-going renovation. This was the home of a Col. Campbell. By the late 1860s, then in the ownership of the Fletcher family, the Ordnance Survey produce the most accurate and detailed map on which the present shape of the castle is visible: it is essentially two buildings linked by a two-storey utility space, the original house having been elaborated by the Edinburgh-based architect Andrew Kerr.
Even as a partial ruin, the castle, approached from the north via Dunans bridge, offers an impressive and romantic spectacle. The franco-baronial style, mixed with elements of the more austere west coast vernacular, offers a massive and overwhelming presence, set upon its own ledge above the Chaol Ghleann ravine. First-time visitors often pause involuntarily as they drive onto the bridge, for in its setting Dunans Castle is a breath-taking vista.
To find out more, visit the Scottish Laird Website